Recovering after treatment
After completing radiation therapy, follow-up visits are necessary to monitor your progress. Your radiation oncologist will assess your response to treatment and will also be watching for possible side effects from treatment.
After radiation treatment, you will be educated on what to look for and how to take good care of yourself during recovery.
- Watch your skin in the treatment area as it may need some special care after radiation.
- Avoid sun exposure to the treatment area.
- Take naps as needed and try to get more sleep at night while healthy tissues are rebuilding.
- Understand it may take some individuals more time to regain strength than others.
- Prioritize activities until you are able to resume a full schedule.
- If you followed a special diet during treatment, learn what foods are appropriate following treatment.
Counseling and support groups
Cancer diagnosis and treatment can have a life-changing impact on the lives of patients and their loved ones. It can be an unfamiliar, stressful and often difficult time. The Bismarck Cancer Center and community organizations offer a variety of cancer support services.
Breast Cancer Support Group *
Caregivers Cancer Support Group *
Cancer Support Group *
Spiritual Care Coordinator *
Look Good Feel Better *
Look Out for Lymphedema
REACH Program *
Missouri Valley YMCA LIVESTRONG
*Indicates programs facilitated by the Bismarck Cancer Center